5 minutes with Mel ...
- Tell us a little about you
Born in Australia. Lovely, easy-going family who sadly don’t know Jesus… yet. Became a Christian age 22. Set up a ministry called Jesus Club so my friends with intellectual disabilities could know Jesus. Can’t wait for this life to end and to be with Jesus.
- What's your favourite bible passage & why? Matthew 18:21-35. The parable of the unmerciful servant puts all of the Christian life in perspective. Why should we forgive? Why should we be generous? Why should we be kind to others? How Christians treat others only makes sense in light of how God has treated us.
- How do you keep your eyes fixed on Jesus?
I try to spend quality time reading the Bible and praying to God every day, but sometimes fail. What really keeps my eyes fixed on Jesus are God’s daily reminders - without which I’d easily go astray. When I make mistakes, when I fail, when I see my unloveliness, when I sin and remember I’m forgiven, when I look at the trees and sky and all the people God is helping, I’m reminded of Jesus' greatness and my smallness.
- What's one thing that you love about your local church? I love the reward of staying in a place for a long time and seeing particular relationships blossom and deepen over time. When I first met young Nat, we didn’t particularly click, but after being in the same Bible study group for 2 years, we realised we could share a lot with each other - laughs as well as the deep stuff. I’ve seen Nat grow in her faith and she has ministered to me regularly. God surprised me by this uplifting, unexpected friendship.
- What did you learn about God at a time in your life you found hard?
I’ve often desired things that the Lord has said “no” to. Being the omnipotent creator of the Universe, God could give me all that I’ve asked Him, and yet He chooses not to. I’m grateful that God has shown me over and over that the things I thought I wanted are transient and mediocre compared to what He wants to give me - Himself for all eternity. The more He doesn’t give me what I want, the more dead to this world I feel and the more hungry for eternity.
- What do you enjoy doing when you rest? My brother has the most gorgeous miniature labradoodle, Harvey, and spending time with him is completely relaxing. He looks like a teddy bear. I love seeing his tail wag like crazy when I chase him around the house.